Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Toxicity of Amanita

A genus of MUSHROOM that includes many poisonous species, along with a few edible ones. Amanita species can be confused with edible mushrooms. The most common cause of mushroom poisoning is the ingestion of A. phalloides (death cap) and A. virosa (destroying angel). These species produce specific toxins called amatoxins and phallotoxins, compounds with cyclic AMINO ACID structures. A single mushroom may contain enough of these poisons to kill an adult. Eating the mushroom can cause LIVER, HEART, and KIDNEY damage, as well as symptoms of common shock and delirium.

No comments: